Comics. List of all 61 issues of the Gold Key
STAR TREK series. Given for each issue is a thumbnail cover image, the issue date and the cover
blurb. The page provides links to the pages within this site that are dedicated to each individual issue.
and descriptions of the main Enterprise crew and some other characters seen in the Gold Key STAR TREK comics.
This page is the place to go if you are curious how the television characters appeared in comic form.
Vehicles. This page features a
description and picture of most of the spacecraft and
flying vehicles seen in the sixty-one issues of the Gold Key series of STAR TREK comics. Included are
images of the comic version of ships seen on the television series such as the Enterprise herself, and Klingon
and Romulans vessels.
Lifeforms. This page features images and
descriptions of the thirty or so alien (non-human) races seen in the sixty-one issues of the Gold Key series of
STAR TREK comics. Included are images of the comic versions of well-known aliens seen on the television series
such as Vulcans, Klingons, Andorians and Romulans.
Starfleet Psycho-Files A page featuring the Starfleet Personnel files for Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock. These were created as new material that was included in volumes one and three of the the 1976-77 Enterprise Logs reprints editions of Gold Key STAR TREK comics.
This page gives the prices of each issue according to the 2002 Overstreet Price Guide and
a brief treatment of how the comics have increased in value over the years.
This page gives information about the seven Checker Key Collection volumes (shown below), the four bound volumes of Gold Key STAR TREK Comics published in 1976 and 1977 and the set of 9 mini Gold Key comics published as giveaways in 1974 which included two STAR TREK issues.
This page provides a large table which displays information about all 61 Gold Key STAR TREK comics.
Included is Issue number, Story Title, Publication date, Cover Price, Writer, Artist, Stardate,
Enterprise Crew Appearances and Comments.
The Gold Key comics were not available in England. But British fans were able
to enjoy the stories in the form of Annuals published in Great Britain by World Distributors
(Manchester) Limited. This page gives information about the several British Annuals.
A place for visitors to this site to leave their thought and view comments left by other visitors. Unfortunately, I am no longer accepting submittals to the Guest Book due to the amount of Spam submittals.
With the Map below, jump straight to any of the 61 comic pages:
New Book About the History of STAR TREK Comics!
Star Trek: A Comic Book History by Alan J. Porter
Now for the first time the complete history of the Star Trek universe in comic books and newspaper strips from all over the world. Written by pop-culture historian Alan J. Porter, author of the bestselling James Bond: The History of the Illustrated 007, this book will be the definitive history on the subject. Nine information-packed chapters detailing the history of Star Trek in comic books and newspaper strips from the first Gold Key comic books, to the English newspaper strip, to the Marvel and DC titles, to the present day. Exhaustively covers all publications of the entire Star Trek universe. Includes creator interviews, unpublished artwork and a detailed checklist. Published to coincide with the release of the new Star Trek movie. Boldly goes where no book has gone before!
Alan J. Porter has been a regular writer on various aspects of popular culture for over fifteen years. With magazine articles on comics, music and the movies published in Europe, Australia, Canada and the US.
He is the author of "BATMAN: The Unofficial Collectors Guide," (Schiffer Books), "BEFORE THEY WERE BEATLES: The Early Years 1956-1960," (Xlibris), JAMES BOND: the history of the illustrated 007," and "STAR TREK: A comics history." (both for Hermes Press.) He has also contributed to over 10 other book titles.
- June 13, 2016:
I made a long-overdue update to the prices on the Price Guide page based on the 2014 edition of the Overstreet Price Guide.
- June 5, 2009: I added a description and an image of 21st-century Earth Ion-Impulse Drive Ships to the Ships page.
- May 21, 2009: I added updated information about the seventh and final volume of Checker Books' Gold Key comic reprints to the Reprints page. The volume is scheduled to be released Summer 2009.
- June 8, 2008: I added updated information about the sixth volume of Checker Books' Gold Key comic reprints to the Reprints page.
- January 20, 2008: I have added comic frames to the final fifteen comic pages: Issue #16, Issue #17, Issue #22, Issue #23, Issue #32, Issue #34, Issue #39, Issue #42, Issue #44, Issue #47, Issue #51, Issue #52, Issue #53, Issue #54 and Issue #60. Now, all 61 of the comic issues feature comic frames! Whew!
- June 11, 2007: I have added comic frames to ten more comic pages: Issue #2, Issue #6, Issue #8, Issue #19, Issue #20, Issue #26, Issue #28, Issue #30, Issue #38 and Issue #43. Now, 46 of the 61 total comic issues feature comic frames.
- May 21, 2007: Added "From Sputnik to Warp Drive: A Brief History of Interstellar Travel" to the Starfleet Psycho-Files page. This was new material created for Volume 4 of the reprint editions of the 1970's.
- April 12, 2007: Added the new Starfleet Psycho-Files page.
- April 10, 2007: I added several comic frames to seven more comic pages: Issue #31, Issue #33, Issue #46, Issue #55, Issue #57, Issue #58 and Issue #59.
- March 27, 2007: I added several comic frames to four more comic pages: Issue #9, Issue #10, Issue #11 and Issue #13.
- March 10, 2007: I added several comic frames to four more comic pages: Issue #49, Issue #50, Issue #56 and Issue #61.
- March 9, 2007: I added several comic frames to seventeen more comic pages: Issue #1, Issue #3, Issue #4, Issue #5, Issue #7, Issue #18, Issue #21, Issue #24, Issue #25, Issue #27, Issue #29, Issue #35, Issue #37, Issue #40, Issue #41, Issue #45 and Issue #48.
- December 20, 2006: I added several comic frames to the Issue #12: "The Flight of the Buccaneer", Issue #14: "The Enterprise Mutiny" and Issue #36: "A Bomb in Time" pages.
- December 18, 2006: I added several comic frames to the Issue #15: "Museum at the End of Time" page. I will be adding comic frame images to more comic issue pages over the coming months.
- November 21, 2006: I augmented the Characters page to include Barbara McCoy, Zefram Cochrane, Harry Mudd and the Guardian of Forever.
- February 4, 2006: I updated the Reprints page to include Checker Book's reprint editions Volumes 4 and 5 which came out in September and December 2005.
- April 13, 2004: Added the new
Lifeforms page to this site.
- December 18, 2003:
Big News! Checker Book Publishing Group has licensed with Paramount to reprint the
Gold Key Star Trek comics. They'll be coming out with "Star Trek: The Key Collection Volume 1"
(ISBN 0-9741664-4-8, 180 full-color pages, 6 3/4" x 10 1/4", $22.95) in June 2004.
The volume collects issues 1 - 8.
I added this upcoming book to the Reprints page along with a cover image.
- July 6, 2002:
Added to the Reprints page a section about the two 1978
STAR TREK issues of the Whitman Dynabrite reprint series.
- June 6, 2002:
Updated the prices on the Price Guide page based on
the 2002 edition of the Overstreet Price Guide.
- March 1, 2002:
Added a synopsis for Issue #58: "Brain-Damaged Planet." This completes
all of the synopses.
- February 24, 2002:
Added a synopsis for Issue #59: "To Err is Vulcan."
- February 20, 2002:
Added synopses for Issue #50: "The Planet of No Life,"
and Issue #56: "No Time Like the Past."
- February 18, 2002:
Added a synopsis for Issue #49: "A Warp in Space."
- May 14, 2001:
Added the the Reprints page a section about a set of 9 mini Gold Key comics
published as giveaways in 1974 which included two STAR TREK issues.
- October 24, 2000:
Added a synopsis for Issue #24: "The Trial of Captain Kirk."
- October 22, 2000:
Added a synopsis for Issue #19: "The Haunted Asteroid."
- October 21, 2000: Added the Data-At-A-Glance,
Vehicles, British Annuals and
pages to this site.
- March 8, 2000: Added links to a search for Gold Key Comics in
Ebay to the Main, Prices, Reprints and Comics pages within this site.
- December 29, 1999: Added this Latest Additions
section to the Main page.
- December 28, 1999: Added the
- December 21, 1999: Added a note to the
Issue #15: "Museum at the End of Time" page concerning a similarity between its
story and that of an episode of the Animated STAR TREK series.
- July 28, 1999: Added a synopsis for
Issue #21: "The Mummies of Heitius VII."
- April 5, 1999: Added the
Reprint Volumes page to the site.
- March 9, 1999: Created this site.
See My Other Sites Also:
Ebay, the online auction house, usually has many classic
STAR TREK comics for auction. The logo below links to
an eBay search for Gold Key Comics:
STAR TREK is a Registered Trademark of Paramount Pictures
Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Gold Key is a registered trademark
of Western Publishing Corp.